Shift has a harm reduction and rights-based approach to sex work. We recognize that sex work is a choice for many, and respect the rights of adults to make this choice. We also recognize that for some, factors such as poverty or exploitation can put people into situations where they don’t have control.
Shift’s services will meet you where you are at – whether you want to continue sex work, safely exit, or anything in-between.
- Supportive counselling and case management
- Free safer sex supplies
- Advocacy: Income supports, Child and Family Services, etc.
- Escort, Massage, Entertainment licensing information and support
- Sexual health information
- Referrals for low-cost contraception and for HIV and STI testing
- Working safely: “Bad Date” reporting, safer working strategies (date screening, condom negotiation)
- Referrals: Mental health, substance use treatment, housing, financial, employment, basic needs, legal
Who is the Program for?
Shift provides support to adults currently and formerly working in the sex industry.
Shift offers workshops to community service providers, students, and the general public about sex work and related topics.
Shifting Perspectives is a comprehensive introduction to sex work and related issues of harm reduction, human rights, and safety. This workshop will provide participants with an enhanced understanding of the sex work and the sex industry in Calgary. Participants will gain an understanding of the factors which can support or constrain choice and safety in sex work on an individual and structural level. Shifting Perspectives will provide participants with an enhanced understanding of the care and support needs of sex workers and will offer best-practice strategies for service providers working with this population.
Visit www.shiftcalgary.org for information or to register for an upcoming workshop.
Address: 110 – 1603 10 Ave SW
Monday – Friday: 9am – 12pm & 1:30 – 4pm
Subscribe to the Bad Date Reporting mailing list